DANGERS of PETS and XYLITOL

Many pet owners understand there are common foods we all enjoy that can be toxic to their pets.  Chocolate, raisins, grapes and onions to top the list, but there are many others that are not as well known.  12 Oaks Dental not only cares about you, but your extended 4 legged family as well!

barleyA sweetner called Xylitol is becoming a more popular ingredient in many types of toothpaste, gums and candies.  Xylitol can also be used as a sugar substitute (often labeled as sugar free) in baking too.

Even the smallest amount of Xylitol can be extremely toxic to dogs.  Liver failure, low blood sugar and death can come from Xylitol poisoning.   A single piece of gum, if left untreated can result in hypoglycemia in dogs.  Do not ignore vomiting and lethargy if you suspect your pet has ingested Xylitol.  If treated quickly, proper medication and fluids can prevent long term damage or even death.

If you have a story or picture of your family pet share it with us on FaceBook!

« | »
Background Image