We get this question a lot at our dental office in Austin. While it’s not a cut-and-dried answer, we can definitely explain a few pros and
cons behind both of the common flossing methods.
Floss Picks Pros
- Ease of Use. Many people prefer floss picks over traditional floss because they’re easier to use. The way floss picks are designed make them much easier to get to those hard-to-reach places in the back of the mouth.
- Effective. Floss picks remove food and bacteria in between teeth, just like regular floss, sort of. See cons below for more info.
Floss Picks Cons
- Not as Effective. Due to the design of floss picks, it’s very difficult to thoroughly clean around each tooth and into the gum lines. This means that sometimes, floss picks are not the ideal choice.
- Not so Easy to Use. Yes some people choose floss picks because of their usability. However, others stay away from floss picks because they can’t fit it between their teeth. If your teeth are close together, floss picks may be troublesome.
Regular Floss Pros
- The Best of the Best. There really is only one pro when it comes to regular floss, not because there’s only one good thing about it, but because it’s all encompassing. Regular floss really is the best way to ensure a healthy mouth. It’s flexible so you can reach all around each tooth. It’s been proven to help prevent bacteria buildup. It’s ultimately the best choice.
Regular Floss Cons
Difficulty Level. Traditional floss can be difficult to use, especially for those with mobility complications. If this is the case and you’re able to use a floss pick with more ease, it’s much better than not flossing at all.
No matter which form of floss you choose, what matters to all of us at our Austin dental office is that you’re flossing. Flossing removes the bacteria between teeth that can’t be reached with a toothbrush alone and is a crucial part to maintaining a healthy mouth. So choose the floss that feels best and get to flossing!
Accepting patients from Austin, Westlake, and Cedar Park