Flossing isn’t just something all of us at 12 Oaks Dental in Austin recommend as an optional part of your oral health care routine. In fact, flossing is absolutely crucial for a healthy mouth and healthy gums.
The American Dental Association (ADA) recommends flossing at least once a day for optimal oral health. Flossing allows you to successfully remove the plaque and bacteria between your teeth that your toothbrush alone can’t reach. By flossing every day, plaque doesn’t have a chance to harden into dangerous calculus or tartar.
Flossing Tips From 12 Oaks Dental
- Floss before brushing your teeth
- Glide the floss in between each tooth using a sawing motion
- Angle the floss in a “c” shape around the tooth and slightly below the gumline
- Repeat on the opposite tooth
- Unravel the floss from your fingers, supplying fresh floss for each set of teeth
- Finish up with a proper brushing
By properly flossing every day, you’re not only removing hard-to-reach plaque, you’re also protecting your smile from cavities and gum disease. However, it’s still important to see your dentist in Austin regularly for checkups and professional cleanings. If you’re due for a checkup, or if you want some more tips on how to get into a healthy flossing routine, call us to schedule an appointment today!